Thursday, July 17, 2014

Early Finishers and a Bright Idea!!



Hey all!

I wanted to share this awesome team building concept my hubby and I came up with! I'm linking up with Teaching with Love and Laughter to shaw this bright idea!

I just finished creating Early Finisher Posters that are for sale on my TpT website.

What I've designed is a way for the class to earn bonus points. Most of my early finisher activities require a written assignment. I have a separate Turn In Tray in the back of my classroom designated for Early Finisher Work. Every time a student turns in an early finisher activity, he/she earns 1/2 a bonus point for the class. By the end of the semester, those bonus points will be divvied out to the entire class. For example, if John completes 10 early finisher activities, he has earned 5 bonus points for the class. I have approximately 30 students in each class. So, hopefully by the end of the semester we will have at least 30 bonus points towards the class. This means each student receives 1 bonus point. I may have to play with the numbers some, but I really think this will work! They have 9 weeks to earn points! If the 1/2 point doesn't work, I'll increase it to 1 point. I think this is a fabulous way to hold students accountable for the activities they do when they finish early as well as build the class up. 

Everyone succeeds when one succeeds! 

I know that most of the students who finish early will really want to earn those points, but I also have to remind students that they each have their own goals in AR. So taking AR tests and silently reading are just as important as earning points for the class. 

You can sort of see here where I have some of my Early Finisher Activities below my calendar. The blue and yellow containers hold file folder activities, and next to that are writing task cards. The black tray is where they turn in their early finisher work. :) 


I've also been doing some research on the Daily 5. I haven't quite figured out how to integrate it into my room yet, but there will be time for silent reading. I'm thinking about doing the Daily 5 once or twice a week. :)

I just wanted to share this idea, because I think it's fabulous!

Here is a preview of my Early Finisher Posters


They are $1.00 or you can purchase the Customizable Early Finisher Posters for $5.00. You can type on and change the font on the customizable posters as well as add your own early finisher activities and borders to suit your classroom! Both are available on my TpT website!

Have a great night!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...